There are two important insurance covers:

  • Third Party Liability insurance: covers you if you are responsible for causing damage or harm to someone else.
  • Personal insurance: covers you if you have an accident.

Third party liability cover

The club requires you to have a Third Party Liability insurance to come and dive with us.

There are 2 possible ways to get such cover:

  1. You are already a BSAC member. In this case you are covered by BSAC Third Party Liability insurance and we just need your BSAC membership number.
  2. You are neither a BSAC member nor have another third party cover provider. In this case our guest policy covers you for a maximum of three consecutive days. There is no paperwork involved, you will just need to provide your next of kin details to our Diving Officer. This essentially allows you to come and try diving with OUUEG for a weekend.

Personal insurance

Whether or not you decide to also subscribe to a personal insurance is entirely up to you. Bear in mind that, whilst in the UK rescue services are free and so are treatments provided by the NHS, it is probably not the case elsewhere in the world.

Also check how suitable for diving any personal insurance is and whether there any fine print restrictions (restrictions regarding water sports/SCUBA and depth limits for example).

A personal insurance specific to SCUBA diving is probably a good idea if you go travelling as it will likely also double as a travel insurance, cover kit damages and possibly also non-diving related medical emergencies.

Note that if you join one of OUUEG trips abroad then you will have to provide proof of travel insurance and medical cover.